Creative Writing Section
Creative writing is like alchemy, we take everyday words and our imagination and weave them into glittering threads of plot or poetry. The skill of writing, either fact or fiction, is one that we use throughout our lives, and we feel it is important to encourage both Children and Adults across Berkshire to let their pens work magic.
Deadline for Entries
All Entries must be received by 16th March 2018.
Entries can be made by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and must include your name, address, phone number, email address and age on the date of the festival if under 18 or by post to: Chair of Creative Writing 26 Volunteer Rd, Theale. RG7 5DN
Payment can be made by;
Bank transfer to ‘Berkshire Music and Arts’ sort code 40-34-12 account number 22078503 using your name as the reference.
Cheque, made payable to ‘Berkshire Music and Arts’
PayPal as per the link at the bottom of the page.
There are four classes in our Poetry section, one for each age group. Please go to our Creative Writing Categories page to check which class and class code to make your entry in.
Our Theme for Poetry this year is ‘Spring.’
There are five classes in our Short Story section, please visit our Creative Writing Categories page to check which class and class code to enter. Short stories may be written to a title of your choice or you may use one of those supplied below, children might like –
- The Magic Candle
- The Missing Butterfly
Adults may prefer –
- The Search for Paradise
There are three classes in our Factual Writing Section, please visit our Creative Writing Categories page to check which class and class code to enter. In this class we would like you to write a newspaper article. Each age range has its own topic (see below). These should be no more than 1 side of A4. You can illustrate your article and include headlines etc. if you choose but this is not compulsory.
- Junior years 3 & 4 – A superhero saving the day
- Junior years 5 & 6 – School Sports day
- Senior years 7 to 13 – A review of a play or gig that you have been to.
All entries will be awarded a certificate. The judges will select 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed entries and as many commended entries in each class as they feel is relevant. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed entries will receive a medal to be presented on the day of the festival. Those entries awarded a commended certificate will be invited to receive this at the presentation ceremony.
- Village Eye Cup for the best poem chosen from Categories CWP01 and CWP02 this poem will also be published in the following months edition of Village Eye Magazine.
- Claire Dyer Cup for best Poem from Category CWP03
- Berkshire Music and Arts Cup for Poetry for the best adult poem from Category CWP04
- The Peter J Murray Cup for the best Short Story from Category CWSS01
- Explore Learning Cup for the best Short Story chosen from Categories CWSS02 and CWSS03
- Slough Writers Cup for the best Short Story from Category CWSS04
- Nina Whyle Cup for the best Short Story from Category CWSS05
- Berkshire Music and Arts Factual Writing Cup for the best article from Categories CWF01, CWF02, and CWF03
- The Berkshire Music and Arts Creative Writing Shield this is awarded to the school or group who is the most successful across all of the Creative Writing Categories.
Others Cups, Trophies and Prizes may also be awarded, and this list will be updated over the next few months.
School Or Group Entry
We are well aware that schools and other groups have limited available funds and so we would like to offer these groups (Schools, Scouts, Brownies, Youth clubs etc) the opportunity to enter the Festival as an organisation, with no limits to the number of entries from each group. Entry forms for Schools and Groups are available on the website.
Fees for Schools or Group Entrance: £20 for up to 20 entries, £25 for between 21 and 49 entries, £35 for 50 to 100 entries and finally £50 for over 100 entries with no upper limit.
“To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it is about, but the inner music that the words make” – Truman Capote